Submitted by Richard K. Fleischer
The Trumbull Manufacturing Co. est. 1850 – 333 S. Park Ave. (originally known as the Warren Machine Works). Had been several companies through the years, but we know it as Trumbull Mfg. Co. During the days of the P&O Canal, this company even had its own canal boat slip to the factory.
This company was a contract, steel fabricating company, making many kinds of machinery. They made saw mills, logging locomotives, boilers, steam hammers, portable steam engines for farm use, built a car in 1899 called the Trumbull, in 1905 made another car line known as the Pendleton. (During this time in history there were 500 auto manufacturers in the U.S.)
They made railroad tank car parts and fittings, such as safety valves, outlet legs, dome lids, and dome rings for the German American Tank Car Co. on the north end of town. There was a foundry on site, so castings were made there, as well. During WWII the company made bulldozer blades for the military. Steel mill machinery was made at the Trumbull Manufacturing Co., as well as coal mine machinery.
During the early years – 1850 – an employee made 7 1/2 cents an hour and worked 72 hrs. a week.
Many of the area machinists got their training at Trumbull Mfg. Co.
The Pendleton family became part owners of this business in 1882. Trumbull Manufacturing Co. closed on Sept.1, 1977. The company had become a part of the Warren Tool Corp. in Sept. of 1976. This was Trumbull County’s longest surviving manufacturer lasting 127 years.
Another company, Torque Drives, occupied the buildings of the Trumbull Manufacturing Company for many years after Trumbull Mfg. closed but has since moved to Boardman, Oh.
The Trumbull Manufacturing Company buildings still stand at the original location on South Park Ave. It is unknown if any actually date back to 1850.