Submitted by Richard K. Fleischer
Ohio Corrugating Co. est. 1915 – Located at Pine Ave. and Roanoke St. SE. First President was W. M. Kerr. The company made corrugated roofing and siding. Ohio Corrugating bought it’s steel from Trumbull Steel Co., located across the street. Product changed to making steel drums for the government during WWI. By 1927 the plant was making 5,000 drums a day. The company specialized in making steel drums in capacities from 5 gal. to 55 gal. and had 5 product lines by 1963. The plant had 230 employees in 1957. Ohio Corrugating used locally made 18 gauge steel for much of its production. By 1977 the plant had at least 30 competitors. There was a USWA strike at the plant that resulted in the liquidation of the plant and equipment in 1978. Today, in many cases, such containers are made from plastic.