Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Aetna Machine Works

Submitted by Richard K. Fleischer Aetna Machine Works was founded in 1880 by Frank I. Freeman as a reorganization of the Douglas Machine Works and employed 18 hands in 1882. They made sawmills, pumps and 10 to 125 H. P. vertical & horizontal steam engines…

Read more

American Welding & Manufacturing Co.

Submitted by Richard K. Fleischer Est. 1918 - Pheonix Rd. - moved to Dietz Rd. This company was founded by J.C. Masternach and some investors from Cleveland. It opened with a workforce of 30 people and eventually grew to 700 employees. The original product…

Read more

Atlantic and Great Western Railway, The

Submitted by Andrew Olson & Richard K. Fleischer The Atlantic and Great Western Railway (1865-1871)/Railroad (1871-1880) Company On March 10th 1851 Marvin Kent, a merchant from Franklin Mills OH (now Kent) chartered the Franklin and Warren Railroad to connect the two named local business communities.…

Read more

Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, Lake Branch

Submitted by Richard K. Fleischer Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Lake Branch and the Painesville & Youngstown Railway The B&O Lake Branch was the first narrow gauge line in the state for common carrier business, and was built within two weeks of the Denver &…

Read more

Brainard Steel Co.

Submitted by Richard K. Fleischer Est. Circa 1918 Located originally at Paige Ave. and Griswold St. Eventually moved to Larchmont Ave. NE. When owner J.W. Brainard retired this company was sold to a private firm headed by E. T. Sproul, who had formerly been…

Read more

Bristol Inn

Submitted by Kathy Seemann In 1806, two years after Bristol Township in Trumbull County, Ohio was first settled by Abraham Baughman, Jonathan Walkley (born in Connecticut on November 11, 1783, died October 19, 1828) built the first frame home in the township on the south…

Read more

Chicago Cleveland Car Roof Company

Submitted by Richard K. Fleischer Railroad freight car roofs like this one were made by the Chicago Cleveland Car Roof Co. in Warren, Oh. The building on Thomas Road in Warren had changed hands a few times. Being a Packard Electric motor…

Read more

Clinton Air Line

Submitted by Mike Zador The Clinton Air Line* was a proposed railroad that was one segment of a railroad that was to extend from the Atlantic Ocean to the Missouri River. Conceived by DeWitt Clinton Jr., son of DeWitt Clinton, governor of New York and…

Read more

Copperweld Steel Company

Submitted by Richard K. Fleischer Part 1, The Good Years Copperweld began as a small business at Rankin, Pa. with about 23 employees in 1915. The Plant moved to Glassport, Pa. in 1927 and began to expand. The company process unites a thick jacket of…

Read more

Cortland Opera House

Submitted by Sally Lane In 1987 this building was known as the “Grange.” Before that it was unofficially called the Opera House, but its real name was Kline’s Hall. Before that it was the town’s Methodist church and faced North High Street.  Before that, from…

Read more

Denman Tire & Rubber Company

Submitted by Richard K. Fleischer This company was organized in 1919 and made automobile tires and tubes. The plant was located on a site known as the old Matthews farm. The original plant covered 40,000 sq. ft. It was originally known as the Denman-Myers Cord…

Read more

Gasser Chair Company (1946- present)

Submitted by Marcia Levy Eugene Gasser (1882-1965) was born in Switzerland and immigrated to the US in 1909. He and his wife Bertha lived in Youngstown where Eugene was a machinist.  Their three sons, Roger (1912-1978), Louis (1914-1999), and George (1929-2010) founded the Gasser Chair…

Read more

Halladay Motor Car Company

Submitted by Richard K. Fleischer Halladay Motor Car Co. Est. at Anderson, Ind. In 1902 – Moved to Warren, Oh. 1917 – located on Euclid Ave. (now Martin Luther King Blvd.) across from the Liberty Steel Co. The site is an empty field today…

Read more

Harris Automated Press Company

Submitted by Richard K. Fleischer In 1890 jewelers and tinkerers Alfred and Charles G. Harris developed a new printing press with an automatic feeder. Their first press was a revolutionary breakthrough, delivering ten times what a pressman could feed by hand. The Harris Automatic Press…

Read more

Heltzel Steel Company

Submitted by Richard K. Fleischer Warren - Est. 1916 by John Heltzel – Located on Thomas Rd. next to Berk Enterprises. Made steel forms for highway paving machines, concrete batching plants. John Heltzel came from Streator, Ill. in 1914, with a partner. They had…

Read more